Monday, November 14, 2011

Special Pops Tennis - Fall Classic 2011

Last weekend I attended the Special Pops Tennis Fall Classic at the Racquet Club of the South; I worked as a volunteer umpire all day Saturday and Sunday morning: working 4 singles matches indoors on Saturday morning, 3 doubles matches on Saturday afternoon, and a semi-final & final on Sunday morning.


Much like the 2011 Special Olympics at Emory University - where I volunteered as an umpire last May - the event was well organized/run by the Special Populations Tennis Program, Inc., formally founded as a nonprofit in 2005. It’s a terrific group of people whose mission is “to provide a meaningful year-round tennis experience to children and adults with intellectual disabilities”.


I highly recommend this organization, its volunteer staff and Board of Directors (many of whom I’ve had the pleasure to meet), and hope that you will consider volunteering at their events in 2012.


No comments:

Post a Comment