Thursday, July 28, 2011

Final thoughts on the 2011 ATC

I thoroughly enjoyed working at and attending this year’s Atlanta Tennis Championships at the Racquet Club of the South. The experience of volunteering was fabulous: the volunteer coordinator for scorekeeping and court monitoring was exemplary, my fellow volunteers were friendly and professional and, as an attendee, the event was fantastic. You may have noticed that I’ve added a summary page of the tournament on the right-hand side of the page.

In other news, it was announced earlier this month that NBC lost its contract to broadcast Wimbledon – after 43 years! – to ESPN. While this is just another data point in the larger trend and transformation of television, particularly the coverage of sporting events, it’s possible that the dissatisfaction expressed by tennis fans (like me, in these pages) was heard by the “powers that be” at our sport’s most prestigious event. I will certainly miss being able to display the tournament’s middle and final weekend’s coverage on my basement wall with the over-the-air HD projector setup I have, but I also look forward to seeing more of the event’s matches and an end to the tape-delayed broadcasting I’ve ranted against more than once here.

August promises to be an exciting month of tennis, not just because it marks the culmination of the US Open Series with the start of the 2011 US Open on August 29th, but because it will feature my USTA 7.0 mixed doubles team’s second consecutive trip to the Georgia State Championships in Augusta.


No comments:

Post a Comment