Monday, October 3, 2011

Time to replace my strings?

I had a disappointing match the other night and it made me think: it must be time to replace my strings.

I had started playing the match with the racquet I bought last June (which I hadn't taken out of the bag for months), after the extensive demo period during which I selected my new stick. However, after my partner and I were bageled in the first set, I switched to my backup racquet, which I purchased in early August after I was sure that this new racquet was for me. I have been surprised at how quickly the strings have frayed on these new racquets vs. my old one.

Firstly, you should know that I have never broken a string playing tennis despite the fact that I use Wilson NXT 17 (i.e. thinner, non-polyester) strings. Secondly, I used to replace the strings on my former racquet – a Wilson nCode nSix-One 95 with an 18x20 string pattern – every 4-6 months, even though they rarely showed any wear. However, my new racquets – Babolat Pure Storm Tour GT with a 16x20 string pattern – have both shown wear (extensive fraying) within only a few weeks of play and, though I’ve continued to use them, the strings haven't broken.

Always looking for an excuse for poor play, I’m thinking it must be the strings that caused me to play so poorly last Thursday night. So, I took one of my racquets – the first one I purchased – to be restrung this weekend. I’ll be playing my first Ultimate Tennis mixed doubles match this evening with my ALTA partner, so I’ll try the newly strung racquet, but have a frayed one in the bag if things don’t go well.

Wish us luck!


1 comment:

  1. Elbow a little sore after playing with new strings last night. Played well but still lost, by same score (6-7, 4-6) as Saturday, ironically. Both matches, just got beat by a better team, I think.

    ReplyDelete