Monday, November 12, 2012

Special Pops Tennis - Fall recap

The third annual Special Populations Tennis Fall Fundraiser was held last month at the Atlanta Athletic Club. Because of my injury, I was unable to play. But I did attend it as a guest, and arrived in time to see the pro & unified partner exhibition. The dinner was excellent and I assume that a lot of money was raised for this terrific organization through tickets, the auction etc.

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of participating in my second consecutive Fall Classic, the seventh annual Special Pops event of its kind. In previous years, the event was held at the Racquet Club of the South. But, because of its recent purchase by Lifetime Fitness, that facility was unavailable. So, it was held at three different locations simultaneous, with singles, unified partner and traditional doubles events spread throughout the three venues. While this made watching (or photographing) the event a challenge, there were over 150 athlete participants and, per the good weather, a good time was had by all.
I was able to participate on Saturday, and umpired singles matches all morning before the midday break, then unified doubles matches after lunch. While it was cold that morning at the Country Club of the South, it was very warm that afternoon. Lunch was served at nearby East Roswell Park, which was also one of the hosting locations along with the Country Club of Roswell.

I hope that you will consider volunteering with or making a donation to this most worthy organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment