Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ever been to the 'Happy Slam'? Would love to be there now!

Some friends of mine just got back from Melbourne; they were there for several of the tournaments first night sessions, and loved it. Who wouldn't? It'd be great to escape this winter's rain - again, this morning, really? - to have a chance to see the women's or men's finals live and in person!

I've been to Australia, when my spouse and I honeymooned there coming on 25 years ago. I'm sure it's changed quite a bit since 1987. We didn't go to Melbourne; we toured Sydney, Brisbane and Cairns (our jump off point to the country's Great Barrier Reef, where we spent nearly 2 full days snorkeling). The brief discussion I had with my friends upon their return reminded me about the culture of that "island" down under, a very friendly place where life isn't taken for granted, and is lived without pretension. Want proof? Today's Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal semifinal match was interrupted for more than 10 minutes at 7-6, 2-5 by Australia Day's fireworks!

It's now been 30 years since I attended the U.S. Open, and I've made it a goal to see each of the Grand Slam tournaments before I die. I had been thinking that Wimbledon would be the next one and this summer would've been perfect as a silver anniversary trip if it wasn't for the Olympics, the associated crowds and inflated prices. I'm not sure if I'm - or my spouse is - really that interested in traveling to Paris, so perhaps Melbourne will be next on my bucket list.


No comments:

Post a Comment